Educational Objectives for Required
By the end of the rotation learners will be able to:
- Take ownership of their patients and be the primary point person regarding their care.
- Demonstrate the ability to care for patients with increasing independence while seeking help when appropriate
- Handle the daily tasks of an intern including preparing for rounds, presenting on rounds, interprofessional knowledge and communication skills, and patient interactions, histories and physicals, note writing of all varieties, and sign-out in a proficient and efficient manner.
- Apply their knowledge towards diagnosis and management of common acute complaints and chronic conditions, creating care plans and communicating with consultants as necessary.
- Perform general procedures through demonstration of the necessary preparation and key issues required for the performance of procedures, including understanding patient-specific factors, indications, contraindications, risks, benefits, and alternatives.
- Demonstrate reliable mechanical skills in performing procedures in most situations and knows when to seek help for procedures or situations beyond the learner’s abilities.
- Perform safe transitions of care, coordination of care, and discharge planning.
Each Pathway will determine which Subinternship is required for the Pathway. The Subinternships are: Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Surgery. A full list within each discipline will be made available each year.
Available required subinternship list for 2020-2021: https://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/clinicaleducation/Documents/SitesNTimes4.htm